ЧАСТЬ V. УЧЕБНЫЕ МАТЕРИАЛЫ ДЛЯ ЧТЕНИЯ И ПЕРЕВОДА Text 8
1. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (UK.) is made up of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The area of the UK is 244,000 sq km. and its population is 57 million people.
2. Great Britain has a maritime climate. British winters are mild. Summers are cold and rainy. Fogs often occur in autumn and in winter.
3. Most people live in cities and towns. Great Britain is a country of numerous cities. Birmingham is one of the largest cities in the country. It is well known for its high-quality steels, cars, aircraft, machinery and electrical engineering equipment.
4. Great Britain is a highly developed industrial country. It is a great producer of coal and steel. Great Britain has shipbuilding, machinebuilding, automobile industry, chemicals, textiles and others. The industries are concentrated in the central part of the country. This is the so-called “Black Country”. South-eastern England has less rain, more sun and more fertile soil. This part of the country is an old commercial and argicultural region and is called “Green England” for its fields.
5. The United Kingdom is a constitutional monarchy. The monarch has very little power and can only reign with the support of Parliament. Parliament consists of the House of Commons and the House of Lords.