ЧАСТЬ V. УЧЕБНЫЕ МАТЕРИАЛЫ ДЛЯ ЧТЕНИЯ И ПЕРЕВОДА Text 21
1. Computers can deal with different kinds of problems but they must be given the right instructions. Instructions are written in one of the high-level languages, for example, FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, PASCAL, BASIC, or C. But a program written in one of these languages should be interpreted into machine code. Usually when one instruction written in a high-level language is transformed into machine code, it results in several instructions. A brief description of some high-level languages are given below.
2. FORTRAN is acronym for FORmula TRANslation. This language is used for solving scientific and mathematical problems. It consists of algebraic formula and English phrases.
3. COBOL is acronym for COmmon Business-Oriented Languages. This language is used for commercial purposes. COBOL deals with the problems that do not involve a lot of mathematical calculations.
4. ALGOL is acronym for ALGOrithmic Language. It is used for mathematical and scientific purposes.
5. BASIC is acronym for Beginner's A ll-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. It is used by students who require a simple language to begin programming.
6. С is developed to support the UNIX operating system. С is a general-purpose language.
7. When a program is designed to do a specific type of work it is called an application program.