ЧАСТЬ V. УЧЕБНЫЕ МАТЕРИАЛЫ ДЛЯ ЧТЕНИЯ И ПЕРЕВОДА Text 13
1. Canada occupies a great part of the North American Continent. The area is about 9 million square kilometres and it is the second largest country in the world.
2. Most of Northern Canada has subarctic and arctic climate. Long cold winters last 8-11 months and summers are very short. But in the South the climate is temperate.
3. There are many lakes in Canada. The biggest of them are the Great Lakes which are on the US-Canada border. Niagara Falls attract a lot of tourists from all over the world.
4. Canada is a highly developed industrial and agricultural country. It is a world leader in the production of nickel, asbestos and other minerals. Canada has an ideal climate for growing wheat and barley. It is among the world's landing wheat producers and is second in the export of wheat.
5. The population of Canada is 24 million people. English and French are the official languages, of Canada and have equal status and equal rights. Canada is a federation of ten provinces, and two northern territories. Ottawal’s the capital of Canada with the population of 800,000 people.